Share Secured Loan
How to Get an E-ZPass for Canadians
What is an E-ZPass?
- E-ZPass is a digital tag (transponder) used in vehicles to pay tolls at many highways, bridges, tunnels in many north eastern US states.
- Instead of waiting in long lines, digging for exact change in your pocket or purse, and rolling down your car window in a rainy or cold snowy winter day, you simply keep your car window closed, while driving 5-20 miles per hour through the toll booth, without stopping.
- Machines at the toll booth will recognize your vehicle’s E-ZPass tag, and automatically let you cross the toll booth.
- When using E-ZPass instead of cash to pay tolls, you will receive a 5% discount on toll charges
Who can get an E-ZPass?
- Anyone living in the US or Canada can get an E-ZPass for their vehicles
How to get an E-ZPass from Canada
- Visit the E-ZPass website and select your province.
- Fill in your particulars (name, address, vehicle make, model, plate)
- Provide a valid credit card for the top-up.
- The transponder(s) will be mailed to your Canadian address within a week to 10 days.
How to get an E-ZPass from USA
- If you’re in the USA, you can also pick up an E-ZPass while you’re there from many thruway rest-stops.
- If you’re driving on the i90, many rest stops have signs indicating E-ZPass available at that rest stop.
How it works:
- Once you get your E-ZPass tag, simply attach to your vehicle (inside your car, near the rear view mirror is an ideal spot — as shown in the picture above).
- You must ensure the E-ZPass tag is in an obstructed location in your vehicle where the sensors at the toll booth can communicate with it.
- If you drive through a toll booth, where your E-ZPass tag wasn’t recognized (you failed to pay the toll), you will get a ticket in the mail with a huge fine.
How is it billed?
- For the purpose of this post, I will only discuss the PAY PER TRIP option (meant for infrequent users)
- You are charged $25 USD when you order online, remains on your account indefinitely in the form of a credit.
- The $25 credit will be used to pay for the tolls in your travels.
- If your credit dips below $10 USD, your credit card on file be used to replenish your account with another $25.
- You can check your balance, usage history (every time & place) where the E-ZPass transponder was used. Add / Change cars and license plates.
- You can have upto 4 transponders per account (valid for cars, pick-up trucks, motorcycles, RVs)
How to Get a US Mailing Address
If you want to receive mail or packages from a sender who only sends to a US based mailing address, but live in Canada there is an easy and cheap solution for you.
MyMallBox is a Delaware based mail receiving service with no monthly fees! This is great if you’re only expecting the occasional letter here and there. Unlike many of other virtual mailbox services available online, you only pay for what you use and you’re not on the hook for expensive monthly fees or long term commitments.
- Once a package (mail or other item) is received at your US mailing address, you get an automated notification at the e-mail they have on file for you.
- You log into the MyMallBox website to see what type of package was received (a general description of the item is listed there — sometimes it’s vague).
- You have the option in your “My Packages” section to have it forwarded to a mailing address you have on file with them.
- They offer a re-pack option if you wish to re-pack the item received and forward it to a mailing address you specify.
- If you receive multiple packages, MyMallBox offers a CONSOLIDATED option where they will bundle all the packages into 1 shipment to your Canadian or international address.
Depending on where you are located, and how soon you want the package, you have 4 shipping options from MyMallBox to your door. The options vary by time & price (the sooner you want it, the more you are going to pay in shipping cost).
- DHL Express
- USPS Priority
- USPS ePacket
- USPS Airmail – Non-Tracking
The cost for each option will be displayed in your MyPackages section once you select the Add to Cart Option for your respective package.
MyMallBox is a Delaware based mail receiving service with no monthly fees! Unlike most other services, you only pay for what you use.
Once a package is received at your US mailing address, you’ll be notified by email.
If you receive multiple packages, MyMallBox offers a CONSOLIDATED option where they will bundle all the packages into 1 shipment to your Canadian or international address.
Example: If you receive a regular piece of mail like a bill or letter, it will cost under $3USD to have it shipped via USPS to your Canadian Address.
You can get a certified true copy of your Canadian passport at your local passport office for $45. You actually have the option of electing to get upto 3 copies of your certified passport for this fee.
- Download, print and fill out the form.
- Submit the form at your local passport office (you will need to bring your original valid (non-expired) Canadian passport when you’re submitting the form.
- The certified copies of the passport will be sent by ExpressPost within 1-3 business days.
Many use US based websites are not accessible from outside the United States. And if you’re in Canada or any other country tying to access these websites you will be promoted with an error message or redirected to your country’s version of the website.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) service will allow you to access these websites from any country in he world.
1. Sign up for a VPN service.
2. Download OpenVPN client.
3. Download OpenVPN profile from your region.
4. Connect to VPN.
5. Access US website.
TD offers a service called Visa Direct allowing you send funds to other TD customers within minutes.